by DineOut Restaurant
20 Nov, 2018
A spicy and flavorsome buttery blend of various vegetables, Pav Bhaji is one such dish that has the ideal mix of taste and nutrients. If your kids are not ready to gulp down some vegetables then add them in the Pav Bhaji and they will eat them in disguise with supreme pleasure. The extra quantity of butter makes it more rich and sumptuous that is too hard to deny.
Whether its evening snacks time or dinner time, Pav Bhaji is just the right pick to give your tongue and taste buds a tasty treat. The secret recipe of this spicy treat is a special Pav Bhaji Masala that gives this dish a stand out flavor. You can either buy Pav bhaji from the market or make it at home as well. So, let get started.
Recipe of sumptuous Pav Bhaji
Ingredients for Pav Bhaji Masala
- Coriander seeds -4 tbsp
- 5 dried red chilies or as per taste
- Cumin seeds- 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 8 cloves
- Turmeric powder- 1.5 tbs
- Black cardamom- 3
- 3 black cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick, around 2 inches
- Finely chopped ginger – ½ tbs
- Black salt- 2 tbs
- Black pepper powder – 2 tbs
- 1.5 tbsp amchur
Steps to prepare home-made Pav Bhaji masala
To make the Pav Bhaji masala at home, first heat a pan and dry roasts whole spices like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black cardamom, fennel seed, s dried red chilies, and cinnamon stick until the aroma comes out. It will take 2-3 minutes.
Let it cool down and then grind it to a fine powder with the help of a grinder. Add ground black pepper, turmeric, black salt, ginger, and amchur powder.
Again grid it to a fine powder and store it in an air-tight container.
Ingredients for Pav Bhaji
For Pav toasting
- Oil-1 tsp
- Butter cubes finely chopped- 4 cubes Large
- 1 teaspoon dhaniya powder.
- Finely chopped onion- 1 Cup
- Capsicum chopped- 1/2 Cup
- Ginger-Garlic paste- 1 tbs
- Chopped carrot- ½ cup
- Green peas-½ cup
- Chopped cauliflower-½ cup
- Chopped potatoes- 1 cup
- Salt as per taste.
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala-3 tsp
- Kasuri methi- 2 tbs
- Butter to taste – 1 cube
- Red chili powder- 1 tsp
- Tomato puree- 1/2 Cup
- Fresh Coriander leaves- 1 bunch
- Lemon wedges
- Onion rings.
Note - You can add or delete the vegetables as per your taste and preference. Vegetables like brinjal, French beans, and lauki also work well in bhaji.
Steps to prepare Pav Bhaji
- Boil all the vegetables in a cooker or pan with a pinch of salt and keep them aside. Make sure that they are soft enough to get mashed easily.
- Heat oil in a pan and add 1 tablespoon of butter in it. Add cumin seeds to the oil, when it is hot enough. Wait for them to crackle out.
- Add chopped onion and fry until they become golden brown. After that add the finely chopped ginger, garlic, and green chili.
- Once the ginger garlic paste is well cooked, add chopped tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minute. Wait until they become soft.
- Once the tomatoes are cooked properly, add ¼ cup water, tomato puree, and salt. Cook for two minutes and add Pav Bhaji masala, red chili powder, and 2 teaspoons of kasuri methi. Keep on stir in between.
- Cook all the species for a 3-4 minute till the time it starts leaving the oil from the sides. After that add boiled vegetables and mash them with the help of a potato masher.
- Let the mashed vegetable mix completely with the spice mixture.
- Add 3/4 – 1 cup water and mix it will. Cover the pan and let the mixture cook for 15 minutes on low flame. Keep on stirring the bhaji in between.
- Once the bhaji is cooked, add the remaining butter and chopped coriander.
- Heat a pan and toast the pav with butter until they become crisp and brown.
- Serve them with the spicy bhaji. Top it with lemon wedges and onion rings.